Aug 27, 2020
In this episode both Nike Anani and Tsitsi Mutenda return and talk about how and why they founded AFF.
Nike Anani did not plan on dedicating her life to the family business segment in Africa. Fate, it would seem, chose for her.
Nike is the founder and CEO of Nike Anani Practice, Ltd., in Lagos, Nigeria, where she helps second-generation family business members collaborate with the founding generation in an effort to build sustainable family enterprises in the region. No more than 2 per cent of African family businesses successfully transition power to the second generation, and Nike has made it her mission to facilitate this generational merge.
Family business has always been central in Nike’s daily life. Her parents were in their twenties when she was born and wanted to give their newborn a better life. They decided that launching a business was the best way to do so.
When she was nine, the family relocated from Nigeria to the UK, where Nike spent her formative years. After graduating university with a degree in Economics, she began working at Deloitte. While she loved her colleagues, she found the work itself dull. Her true destiny was beckoning, and she could not ignore the call any longer.
Nike returned home to Nigeria for what was meant to be a three-month break from work. More than a decade later, she is still there. After working in her family’s business for several years, she decided to follow her passion for helping other African next-gens, like herself, and thus created the Nike Anani Practice.
Tsitsi Mutendi is a Mom, Wife, Family Business Expert (focused on building multigenerational family wealth), Online Summit and Mastermind Communities Creator on the African continent, and a Montessori Educationalist. Over her career, she has been a successful
1. Fashion Creative director - Mucha (Original African Couture) Independently owned fashion label to be stocked in Zimbabwe's biggest chain store.
2. Media Professional (Created Zimbabwe's first Glossy Women Empowerment Magazine - Jewel Magazine Zimbabwe), and
3. Magazine Publisher/Editor-In-Chief (Edgars Club Magazine Zimbabwe).
And from the experience from growing in these roles in these roles, she is building the following notable Brands
1. Africa Is Rising, Africa's Leading Online Summits Platform and Africa Is Rising Mastermind Communities.
2. Nhaka Legacy Planning, Family Business Services which focuses on, Multi-generational Succession Planning for Family Businesses in Africa.
3. African Family Firms (AFF). A Business Association for African Family Businesses focused on building the biggest and strongest Network for Family Businesses operation on the African continent. Giving them the support they need to build Multi-Generational enterprises.
4. Mutendi Montessori, 100% Montessori Methodology Based primary school in Harare.